We were highly impressed with the entries from our 2017 competition! Congratulations to Phil Singer for winning Best in Show for the third year running with his amazing Navajo weaving.
Our 2017 theme is "Heart to Hands: What We Make Shapes Our World".
What we make matters—it literally as well as metaphorically shapes the world around us. It's not only an expression of creativity, it can also be an expression of our deeply held beliefs. When we practice textile arts, we're connected to generations of makers going back to ancient times—but also to modern communities of people choosing to create more slow, joyful, and connected lives. We're celebrating things made by hand in spite of a consumerist culture, and nurturing our ties to animals and plants, the landscapes around us, and each other.
How does the fiber art you create represent what's important to you; through your chosen materials, techniques, or design? How do you express what's in your heart with the products of your hands?
This year we will be awarding cash prizes!
1. Items are judged according to construction, suitability of material used, effective use for function, adherence to the theme "Heart to Hands", & finishing. Judging is done anonymously, our judges do not know the identity of entrants.
2. All items must have been made no earlier than June 6th, 2016.
3. Each item must be entirely made by entrant(s) named on entry form. All items must contain a minimum of 75% natural fibers (wool, alpaca, silk, cotton, bamboo, etc).
4. Each item must be accompanied by a completed entry form (available below) and the entry fee of $7 per piece (cash or check made to Flag Wool & Fiber).
5. All entries must be received between May 1st, 2017 and Saturday June 3, 2017 at 10am PDT. Deliver entries to the Pioneer Museum, 2340 N Ft Valley Rd, Flagstaff AZ 86001 in person or by mail/UPS/FedEx.
6. Your entry may be marked 'for sale' if desired. Flag Wool and Fiber will handle transaction, collect 10% commission on the sale, and pay the artist directly on June 4th at festival close. If you'd like to sell your item please include a business card with price and contact info with your entry form and we will attach it after judging.
7. No entries are to be removed from the display area before June 4th 2016 at 4pm. Entries can be collected at 4pm on the 4th or during museum hours June 5th-11th. Prior arrangements can be made to have your entry shipped back to you. Entries not claimed after 30 days will become property of Flag Wool and Fiber/The Arizona Historical Society.
8. The Fiber Arts Competition opens to the public at noon Saturday and ribbons will be awarded in the following categories:
Crochet-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, hats etc.
Crochet-2 Wearables, (sweater, jacket or other clothing)
Crochet-3 Household items (doily, blanket, etc.)
Felted-1 Wet Felt
Felted-2 Needle Felt
Knitting-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, hat etc.)
Knitting-2 Wearables, (sweaters, jackets or other clothing)
Knitting-3 Household items
Weaving-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, bags etc.)
Weaving-2 Wearables ( jackets, shirt, skirts & such)
Weaving-3 Household items (towels, runners & placemats)
Weaving-4 Rugs (Navajo Style)
Weaving-5 Rugs (warp or weft faced)
Weaving 7--The Joanne Tallarovic Award for Rep Weave, judged by Joanne Tallarovic
Needlework-embroidery, cross stitch, etc
Surface Design (includes dyeing)
Sewing (includes quilting)