Our 2019 theme is "Outside the Box".
In 2019 we want to be surprised. Bend the rules, break them, or invent your own. Whether you use imaginative materials or techniques or choose to make a statement with your art, we want to see what happens when you think Outside the Box.
We’re changing it up this year! The fiber arts exhibit will be displayed inside the theater at the Coconino Center for the Arts. All entries are due by May 28th at 5pm so we can set up the display. The exhibit opens to the public (with ribbons awarded) at 9am Saturday June 1st.
Please carefully read our competition rules.
This year we will be awarding cash prizes!
1. Items are judged according to construction, suitability of material used, effective use for function, adherence to the theme "Outside the Box", & finishing. Judging is done anonymously, our judges do not know the identity of entrants.
2. All items must have been made no earlier than June 4th, 2018.
3. Each item must be entirely made by entrant(s) named on entry form. All items must contain a minimum of 75% natural fibers (wool, alpaca, silk, cotton, bamboo, etc).
4. Each item must be accompanied by a completed entry form (available below) and the entry fee of $10 per piece (cash or check made to Flag Wool & Fiber).
5. All entries must be received between May 1st, 2019 and May 28th, 2019 at 5pm PDT. Deliver entries to the Pioneer Museum, 2340 N Ft Valley Rd, Flagstaff AZ 86001 in person or by mail/UPS/FedEx.
6. Your entry may be marked 'for sale' if desired. Flag Wool and Fiber will handle transaction, collect 10% commission on the sale, and pay the artist directly on June 2nd at festival close. If you'd like to sell your item please include a business card with price and contact info with your entry form and we will attach it after judging.
7. No entries are to be removed from the display area before Sunday June 2nd 2019 at 4pm. Entries can be collected at 4pm on the 2nd or during museum hours June 3rd or later. Prior arrangements can be made to have your entry shipped back to you. Entries not claimed after 30 days will become property of Flag Wool and Fiber/The Arizona Historical Society.
8. Winners of the previous two year's (2017/2018) Flag Wool and Fiber Festival Fiber Arts Competition are not eligible for prizes in the 2019 competition for the Best in Show and Reserve Champion but are welcomed to enter.
9. The Fiber Arts Competition opens to the public at 9am Saturday and ribbons will be awarded in the following categories: Crochet
Needlework-embroidery, cross stitch, etc
Surface Design (includes dyeing)
Sewing (includes quilting)
Best Guild/Group Project - any of the above categories, created by a collaborative group or organization
Public's Choice - any of the above categories, voted by festival attendees (votes collected until noon Sunday, winner announced at 2pm)
Our judge reserves the right to add additional categories or sub-categories as she sees fit.:)
We were highly impressed with the entries from our 2018 competition! Congratulations to Patti Morriss for winning Best in Show for her incredible needle felt interpretation of the festival logo!