We were highly impressed with the entries from our 2017 competition! Congratulations to Phil Singer for winning Best in Show for the third year running with his amazing Navajo weaving.
Our 2018 theme is "Traditions and Tales: What We Make, and Why".
In 2018 we want to hear your story. For some of us, making has been a tradition handed down from past generations. Those roots run deep. What inspired your ancestors to create...was it utility, art, or both? How has that inspiration been handed down for generations? For others, history starts today. Some of us are the makers that start our own traditions. How will we inspire the creativity of generations to come?
Two paths that lead us to the same place. Traditions and Tales: What We Make, and Why.
In 2018 inspire us with your stories, and your craft.
If you're bringing entries to the festival on June 2nd, take them straight to the Pioneer Museum Barn by 10am.
This year we will be awarding cash prizes!
1. Items are judged according to construction, suitability of material used, effective use for function, adherence to the theme "Traditions and Tales", & finishing. Judging is done anonymously, our judges do not know the identity of entrants.
2. All items must have been made no earlier than June 5th, 2017.
3. Each item must be entirely made by entrant(s) named on entry form. All items must contain a minimum of 75% natural fibers (wool, alpaca, silk, cotton, bamboo, etc).
4. Each item must be accompanied by a completed entry form (available below) and the entry fee of $7 per piece (cash or check made to Flag Wool & Fiber).
5. All entries must be received between May 1st, 2018 and Saturday June 2, 2018 at 10am PDT. Deliver entries to the Pioneer Museum, 2340 N Ft Valley Rd, Flagstaff AZ 86001 in person or by mail/UPS/FedEx.
6. Your entry may be marked 'for sale' if desired. Flag Wool and Fiber will handle transaction, collect 10% commission on the sale, and pay the artist directly on June 3rd at festival close. If you'd like to sell your item please include a business card with price and contact info with your entry form and we will attach it after judging.
7. No entries are to be removed from the display area before Sunday June 3th 2018 at 4pm. Entries can be collected at 4pm on the 3rd or during museum hours June 4th or later. Prior arrangements can be made to have your entry shipped back to you. Entries not claimed after 30 days will become property of Flag Wool and Fiber/The Arizona Historical Society.
8. Winners of the previous year's (2017) Flag Wool and Fiber Festival Fiber Arts Competition are not eligible for prizes in the 2018 competition for the Best in Show and Reserve Champion but are welcomed to enter.
9. The Fiber Arts Competition opens to the public at noon Saturday and ribbons will be awarded in the following categories:
Crochet-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, hats etc.
Crochet-2 Wearables, (sweater, jacket or other clothing)
Crochet-3 Household items (doily, blanket, etc.)
Felted-1 Wet Felt
Felted-2 Needle Felt
Knitting-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, hat etc.)
Knitting-2 Wearables, (sweaters, jackets or other clothing)
Knitting-3 Household items
Weaving-1 Scarves and or accessories (purses, bags etc.)
Weaving-2 Wearables ( jackets, shirt, skirts & such)
Weaving-3 Household items (towels, runners & placemats)
Weaving-4 Rugs (Navajo Style)
Weaving-5 Rugs (warp or weft faced)
Weaving 7--The Joanne Tallarovic Award for Rep Weave
Needlework-embroidery, cross stitch, etc
Surface Design (includes dyeing)
Sewing (includes quilting)
Best Guild/Group Project - any of the above categories, created by a collaborative group or organization
Public's Choice - any of the above categories, voted by festival attendees